torsdag 23 maj 2013

Building hills - 1

After the completion of the gaming table (part 1, part 2, part 3) it is time to get going with some terrain. I felt some smaller hills would be nice to have.
For the build I am using:

  • Left over styrofoam
  • Hard board (I think that is the name for it, used in drawers and as back plates in bureaus )
  • PVA glue
  • Filler
  • Acrylic paint
  • Woodland Scenic's flock and grass


First, I started off by cutting out the shapes and beveling the edges a bit. I decided to try to build a four-piece hill that can go against the edge of the gaming table or all four pieces together to form a larger hill.

I then glued the styrofoam on top of the cut outs and put it under pressure while it was drying. It took a good two days for the glue to fully dry.

After the hills had dried, I cut out the general shape and started cutting them down to be more "hilly".


To smooth them a bit, I used filler which was sanded down after it dried.

Final step for this part was to paint them up. To make the surface a bit stronger, I mixed some PVA in the paint. Not sure if it will help but i imagine it makes it less likely to come off.
In part two, I will flock and grass the hills.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar